flashing adj : emitting light in sudden short or intermittent bursts; "flashing lightning and roaring thunder"
1 a short vivid experience; "a flash of emotion swept over him"; "the flashings of pain were a warning" [syn: flash]
2 sheet metal shaped and attached to a roof for strength and weatherproofing
Etymology(weatherproofing) From original flashing material of copper or aluminum that reflects flashes of sunlight.
- Rhymes with: -æʃɪŋ
- The weatherproofed shielding put around objects which protrude from the roof of a building, such as pipes, chimneys, or the edges of other roofs to deflect water away from the seams.
- The process of getting rid of gaps on shelves by bringing products from the back of the shelf to the front to create a 'fuller' shelf.
- The blinking of a
light source, such as a
bulb or computer's
- The incessant flashing of the neon sign kept the neighborhood awake.
- An incidence of indecent exposure.
- present participle of flash
Flashing may refer to:
- Flashing (cell phones), re-programming the flash-memory, software, computer memory, or operating system in a mobile phone
- Flashing (weatherproofing), construction material used to prevent the passage of water around objects
- Flashing (driving), flashing headlights in a prompt action to warn oncoming drivers of dangers ahead
- Facing (retail), getting rid of gaps on shelves to create the appearance of a fuller shelf
- Flashing (cinematography), a technique that desaturates the color so that one sees more in shadowed areas
- Flash mobbing, an activity in which a large group of people gather at a certain place for no apparent reason
- Molding flash, excess material attached to a molded product which must usually be removed
- Writing to flash memory
- Flashing light, such as a light bulb or computer's cursor
- Exhibitionism, briefly exposing one's body in a socially inappropriate way
- Flash evaporation, causing evaporation by lowering a fluid's pressure below its vapour pressure
ablaze, aflame, aflicker, bickering, blazing, blinking, brave, bravura, braw, brief, brisk, burning, chichi, cometary, dancing, daring, dashing, dressy, exhibitionistic, flaming, flaring, flashy, flaunting, fleet, flickering, flickery, flicky, fluttering, fluttery, frilly, frothy, fulgurant, fulgurating, gallant, gay, glittering, jaunty, jazzy, lambent, meteoric, playing, quick, quivering, quivery, rakish, short, short and sweet, short-term, short-termed, showy, snazzy, speedy, splashy, splurgy, sporty, stroboscopic, swift, wavering, wavery